Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Back To School Product Feature

Well... I've seen it. Have you?

Back to school is back at stores across the country. It's August and many teachers are taking that mental leap from summer vacation to thinking about starting the school year.

I've been getting into the mindset, too. I've created two new products for back to school that I'm really excited to use this year, and I've redesigned one of my old ones that really needed some love.


I don't know about you, but in the past my beginning of school reading lessons have been less than perfect. I had lessons planned that covered important concepts in reading like introducing kids to my library and how to take part in turn and talks. But, they were missing a sense of cohesiveness. This summer, I've put a lot of thought into what really needs to be taught in reading during those first 2 crucial weeks. After mapping it out, adjusting, planning lessons, and adjusting some more, I've come up with my First 2 Weeks of Reading unit.

It covers important concepts like:
  • Whole Group Expectations
  • Stamina
  • Visualizing
  • Turn and Talks
  • About My Classroom Library
  • Concept of Reader's Workshop
  • Making Connections
  • Revisiting the Classroom Rules (they would have originally been taught within the first hour of the first day of school)
  • The Reading Process
  • Whole Group Sharing
  • Partner Sharing
  • Growth Mindset
There are suggested mentor texts, anchor chart examples, posters, sort activities, a reading response journal, and printables for a growth mindset bulletin board. It's really an all-in-one packet of greatness that includes everything but the easel! I'm hoping to add pictures of the product and anchor charts as I get myself into gear for the school year.

Be mindful that it does not include teaching rules. To me, teaching rules is outside of a core block like reading. Rules should really be taught within the first hour of the first day of school. So, if your school day starts with reading, you may have to fudge the days and make day 1 your day 2 and day 2 your day 3... etc. My school day starts with writing, so I'll be using that time to teach expectations (along with other times throughout the day) and writing will start on day 2.

Ok...Next.



We all know that kids learn best by doing. That's why I've put together a scavenger hunt for my class this year to find all of the necessary materials they will be using all year long. I want my kiddos to know where to find the glue sticks, the extra crayons, and the Clorox wipes. I even want them to know that the extra boxes of tissues are stored in a cabinet under the cupboard. If they know where to get them, then they can replenish them without my assistance. It won't interrupt a lesson and it's one less thing I have to add to my already overflowing list of things to do.


This is a really fun way to do it. It's a scavenger hunt! Before the activity, I will place number cards on items around the room. Students will be given a recording sheet with the names of those items in boxes. Their job will be to walk around and find each of the items listed and write the number that is posted, proving they found the item. Then viola, they know where each of these common classroom items are in the room! No more, "Mrs. Douglas, our tissue box is empty!"-grab a new one, stick it out. Or, "Mrs. Douglas, I don't have a blue crayon!"-you know where to find the crayons. Complete and utter independence... Okay maybe I'm dreaming there, but I think you get the idea.




We all know modeling rules and expected behavior is critical when it comes to those first few days of school. This year, I wanted to take it a step further and really give my students a chance to discuss, reflect, and write about the important new procedures I'm teaching them. And, I wanted them to have something to show for it. I created a Rules and Procedures Booklet that includes 13 pages (plus a cover) for students to complete after I thoroughly model and we practice each rule and procedure.


Here's how I decided what went into the booklet.
I made a list of all of my important routines and procedures in my trusty blue notebook a student gave me for Christmas last year, narrowed it down to the ones that are nearly universal to every teacher, and narrowed it down even further into the procedures that:
a) Are Most Important
b) Lend Themselves to Student Reflection
c) Would be Handy for Students to be Able to Refer Back to

The list went from a crazy two pages to this:
Rules and Consequences
Entering the Room
Morning Routine
Quiet Signals
Voice Levels
Lining Up
Hallway Expectations
Leaving the Room
Gathering Supplies
Where to Find Supplies
When May I...?
Turning in Homework
What to Do When Finished
End of the Day Routine

It's pretty versatile, too. It could be used as a booklet like it's laid out or you could cut apart the pages to use in an interactive notebook or just as loose sheets.

On top of that, there are covers to match any teacher from 1st on up, (sorry kindergarten, but with all the writing I didn't think the product really fit your level). From any grade level (1st-5th), to Music, to Intervention, to specific subject areas, there's a cover for everyone. And, if there's not a cover for your unique little niche, there's even a cover with a blank line.




I always know school is coming when I start getting multiple notifications a day that one of my products - Get to Know You Scoot - has sold.

This was one of my early products that I made when I first started teaching 3rd grade. I did my darnedest at the time - but let's just say my formatting skills have gotten better since then (insert lifted eyebrows here). I made this original product in Word... WORD! I had no idea at the time how much easier it is to make products using powerpoint - which is what most TPTers use. No Idea. Anyway, I took some time to redo the product and class it up a little. It's a good product and deserved some love.

I use Get to Know You Scoot in the morning on the first day of school after teaching my rules, consequences, and some basic procedures. There are 16 writing prompts that ask students to identify something they have in common with a partner and write it in a complete sentence. The questions range in depth from favorite foods to something they are both nervous about this school year. What makes it unique is that students partner up and work together to find a commonality for each card. Sometimes they're obvious, but sometimes they really have to use some problem solving skills. When it's time to switch, they find a new card and a new partner.

It's great to use after teaching voice levels and movement expectations. The kids and I all really enjoy it. They get to get up and move around while learning more about each other, and I get to listen in on their conversations. I have them complete the response sheet and turn it in, so I can see what they wrote. It gives me more authentic information than an interest inventory would, although I still use those as well.

I tend to follow a Smart Classroom Management approach, so it's imperative that I show my students how much fun 3rd grade is right from the start. Get to Know You Scoot is perfect for this.

So that's what I've been up to!

Until next time,
-Interventionista

No comments:

Post a Comment